In the latest update from our Investment Committee, John Shanley, CFP® and Josh Sweeney, CFA reflect on the market in 2023 and provide insight into their outlook for 2024.
- Going into 2023, investors were expecting a recession and struggles in the economy after the difficult performance of both stocks and bonds in 2022.
- Despite this sentiment, a regional banking crisis, a potential US Debt default, and a second war breaking out overseas, global stocks have returned over 15%, with bonds gaining 2.5%.
- A polarizing election in 2024 will likely be the focus for the second half of the year.
- Recession indicators remain in the red as they have been for months.
- A big focus heading into 2024 is on cash needs – with the potential for volatility, it is important to have 12-24 months of cash available to avoid forced selling.
At CTWM, we remain focused on the long-term and meeting the needs of clients’ financial plans. Our Investment Committee continues to evaluate various areas of the market where active management may be useful.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to your advisory team.